Date, Halvah, and Chocolate Chunk Cookies
1 1/2 c (180 g) all purpose flour
3/4 c (~140 g) light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 c (50 g) sugar
2 tsp (10 g) baking soda
9 medjool dates
1 stick of unsalted butter (8 tbsp/4 oz/115 g), room temperature
1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla extract
1 bittersweet or milk chocolate bar (80 g), roughly chopped
~ 120g halvah, roughly chopped
Flakey sea salt for topping
- In a small bowl, add 4 of the medjool dates (pitted) and cover them in hot water. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften.
- In large bowl or stand mixer, mix the sugar, butter and dates (removed from the water obviously). Once the butter and sugar are roughly combined, add the egg and vanilla, and combine. If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can combine with a fork in a bowl or gently cream in a blender. It won’t mix like in a stand mixer, but it’ll get the job done. NOTE: If using the blender I recommend only mixing about half of the sugar at first (all the white sugar and 1/4 c of the brown), then adding the vanilla to continue roughly blending, and then once roughly blended, transfer to a large bowl and mix this with the rest of the sugar and the egg with a fork or whisk.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and a tiny dash of salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. I recommend adding 3/4 of the flour first and then gradually adding the rest.
- Once you have the batter, add the chocolate, halvah and chop the remaining dates and add as well, and combine. Again, I recommend adding 3/4 of the goodies and then gradually adding the rest. You don’t want the halvah to get too smashed up.
- Line a plate or baking sheet that you can fit in your refrigerator with parchment paper. Use a spoon to scoop up medium-sized cookies. I rolled them in my hand to form a ball just a bit larger than a golf ball, probably about 1/3 to 1/2 c (~60+ g) worth of dough. Once all the cookies are formed, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 20 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C.
- If you haven’t already done so, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the chilled cookies about 2 inches apart. Be sure your baking rack is on the lower rack. Bake for about 15 – 18 minutes or until golden brown and when you can smell fresh cookies awaiting. You can always toothpick test the center but these are chewy not cakey cookies, so it’s ok if the center is a tiny bit underdone.