Butternut Squash Brown Rice Porridge (Updated Congee)
1/2 c (100 g) short grain brown rice
1 average, medium butternut squash (may not use it all)
1 heaping tbsp miso paste
1 large clove garlic
1 knob ginger equivalent size to garlic clove
1 tbsp (15 ml) neutral oil (olive, grapseed)
Low sodium soy sauce
Fresh lime or lemon juice
- In a medium pot, add miso paste disolved in 2 cups of water, and the rice. Bring to a boil and lower to medium heat. Cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut the butternut squash into large cubes, ~ 1 – 2 inches. Bring a pot of water to a boil, lower to medium heat and boil the squash until tender (not mushy!). Once the squash has cooked, run under cold water to stop the cooking. In a blender, add about ~2/3 c of squash and a spoonful of water or two, and blend until it is a smooth puree. Set aside.
- When the liquid is almost absorbed, use a hand grater to grate the ginger and garlic into the rice. Add the neutral oil (you could use sesame or peanut but it will alter the flavor accordingly). Add 1/2 c of the butternut squash puree. Combine and add an additional 2 c (500 ml) water and raise the heat to medium-high until it starts to bubble again. Then lower to medium-low heat and cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed and the mixture is thickened.
- Add an additional 1 c (250 ml) water, raise the heat to medium-high until it starts to bubble again. Then lower to medium-low heat and cook until you have a thick but soupy porridge.
- Serve with a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil, and additional toppings.