Chocolate (AF)+PB Cookies
Makes 10 large cookies
Adapted from: The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee: Growing, Roasting, and Drinking, with Recipes
1 c (120 g) all purpose flour
1/3 c (40 g) cocoa powder
2 tsp (10 g) baking soda
1/2 c (100 g) light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 c (50g) sugar
5 tbsp (~70 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla extract
1 milk chocolate bar (65 g), coarsely chopped
1/2 c peanut butter
1 heaping tbsp confectioners sugar
Flaky sea salt
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and a dash of salt. Set aside.
- In a separate, large bowl or stand mixer, combine the brown and regular sugars and butter. If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can combine the butter and sugar with a fork. Yes, it won’t cream or mix like in a mixer, but it’s ok. Once the butter and sugar are mostly combined, add the egg and vanilla, and whisk. It will come together.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and combine.
- Once you have the batter, add the chopped chocolate and combine.
- Place the batter on plastic wrap and shape into a thick log ~ 2 inches in diameter and seal. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- In a bowl combine the peanut butter and confectioners sugar. Refrigerate until use.
- When ready to bake, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Mark the cookie log where you’ll cut into 10 equal parts, but as you cut them slice each of the 10 parts in half. It may not be graceful but this is how you fill the cookie with ~2 tsp of the peanut butter filling. Place the filling in the center of one cookie dough half and use the other half to seal. Place the cookies on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.