Title credit: https://open.spotify.com/track/5YVzTtSHSp0XiqYa26inUl
Sweet and Salty Seeded Chocolate Bar Rye Cookies
Makes 12 large cookies
Note: You can make these cookies two ways, or split the batter in half and do them both ways. There is the delicate and demure version, and the rougher. See below…
1/2 c (60 g) rye flour
3/4 c (90 g) all purpose flour
1/4 c (30 g) ground flax seeds
3/4 c (~140 g) light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 c (50 g) sugar
2 tsp (10 g) baking soda
1 stick of unsalted butter (8 tbsp/4 oz/115 g), room temperature
1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla extract
1 bittersweet chocolate bar (65 g), roughly chopped
1/4 c (35 g) pumpkin seeds, plus more for topping the cookies
1/4 c (35 g) roasted sesame seeds, plus more for topping the cookies
1/4 c (35 g) raw (unroasted) sunflower seeds, plus more for topping the cookies
…and for those that like it rough, also add…
1 milk chocolate bar (65 g), roughly chopped
1 c (1 – 1.5 oz or ~40 g) good quality sea salt and vinegar potato chips*
*Ingredient inspired by Milk Bar Compost Cookie
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- In a bowl, mix the rye flour, all purpose flour, flax, baking soda, and a dash of salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl or stand mixer, add the sugars and butter. If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can combine the butter and sugar with a fork. Yes, it won’t cream or mix like in a mixer, but it’s ok. Once the butter and sugar are mostly combined, add the egg and vanilla, and whisk. It will come together.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Once you have the batter, add the chocolate(s) and seeds and combine. If adding potato chips, add these after the chocolate and seeds are incorporated, folding in the chips just until they are a bit broken and incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a spoon to scoop up medium-sized cookies, roughly the size of 1/3 c (~60 g), and place about 2 inches apart, as they will spread. Press lightly with your finger in the center of each cookie to barely flatten, just enough so that when you sprinkle seeds on top there will be room for them to stick. Sprinkle with more seeds and a touch of sea salt.
- Bake for about 12 – 15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. You can always toothpick test the center but these are chewy not cakey cookies, so it’s ok if the center is a tiny bit underdone.