Chai Rice with Sweet Cinnamon Milk, Bananas and Dates
2/3 c (150 g) brown or wild rice
1 – 2 chai tea bags
1 banana, sliced
8 medjool dates, sliced
1 cup (250 ml) milk (whole or lowfat, or unsweetened plant-based milk)
1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
3 tsp (15 g) cinnamon
1 tsp (5 g) cardamom, or preferably 1 pod freshly ground
1 tsp (5 g) ground vanilla (or <1 tsp extract)
- Brew 6 cups (1.5 L) chai tea.
- In a medium pot, add the rice and 4 cups (~ 1 L) of the chai tea. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium-low heat. Cook until the water has absorbed, ~45 minutes.
- Once absorbed, add the remaining 2 cups (500 ml) of chai tea, vanilla, cardamom, 1 tsp (5 g) cinnamon, a pinch of sea salt, and 4 chopped dates. Stir and let simmer on medium-low heat. Check and stir occasionally until the liquid is mostly absorbed. Once almost absorbed, add 1/2 c (~ 100 ml) milk and stir. You can add more water if needed. Cook until the rice is a soft and creamy porridge.
- Mix the honey, 1/2 c (~ 100 ml) milk and a generous 2 tsp (10 g) cinnamon. Set aside.
- When the rice has finished cooking, top with banana, dates and the sweet cinnamon milk.